August 04, 2008

Step 6 is complete

So this is Step 6- repairing the hull joint, Step 4a-finishing fiberglass as well as some of Step 12-tidbits where I clean the sail.
I'm low on materials so I skipped around a bit and finished a step or two out of order.

This:
















Now looks like this:




















This filler is still curing. I widened the crack a little so I could clean it with acetone and assure I could get the needed material into the space. Using a glue syringe, I placed epoxy mixed with filler to a catchup consistency and injected the filler into the cracks. I then worked it in to make sure the cracks were completely full and faired it.
So that takes care of Step 6. It was pretty easy actually.

Now, about Step 4. After the fiberglass had cured, I sanded things down so it was smooth and low enough for filler and later gel coat. I also sanded epoxy that had gotten onto the existing gel coat to clean things up. They say peanut butter consistency when mixing epoxy and filler to put over the new fiberglass. I found that consistency a little difficult to work with so I would say "Peanut butter consistency after 20 seconds in the microwave". You just don't want it to sag if you're working on a vertical surface.

One difficult task, as I had predicted, was to form the curve on that part of the hull. I can't use a straight edge because the hole is too big and the hull curves too much.
So, I had to create the curve by hand. The fiberglass curves, and is close, but it's not perfect. Filler is what you use to create the shape you want. Gel coat is only to seal this filler and should have nothing to do with shape. Without the filler shaped right, the repair will be visible.
I only had enough material to cover one patch. I'll be anxiously waiting for my next paycheck.

So here it is, filled and curing:













I used more filler than needed so it's higher than I want. This is in anticipation of sanding and I'm not experienced enough to know exactly how much. I can always sand it down. Before experience, there's work.

I simply could not get the filler to be smooth (for which I contribute to the consistency), so I'll wait until it cures and start sanding away. This will be tomorrow or maybe even the next day.
Once I am satisfied with the shape, it'll be ready for gel coat...which I've yet to purchase...and Step 4 will be completed on this lone patch.


Frustrated with running out of materials but still having the time, I decided to wash the sail which is one of the many parts of Step 12-tidying loose ends. This little boat surely deserves to wander about the lake with a clean sail!

Contrary to what you may think, you cannot use the washing machine to wash a sail. Sails have a coating on them which allow them to be sails. Any harsh soaps or harsh scrubbing will get rid of this coating. Even the gentle cycle is too rough.

To wash a sail, you will need plenty of space. I power washed the driveway and spread it out.
Here it is, wet from the driveway, and dirty.














I used very diluted car soap. My decision was based on the fact that car soap is designed not to strip away wax from vehicles, so it's fairly gentle. Even dish soap will strip wax off of a car.
I washed my feet before stepping on the sail barefooted (my arms weren't long enough to reach from the edges) and gently washed with a soft sponge.

This sponge started life as a white sponge. This is how dirty the sail was.
















And now, I have a clean sail free of bugs, dirt, and spiderwebs. Look at that little fish. Doesn't he look so happy?




















I'm not entirely sure when I'll be getting more materials. Hopefully after I'm done sanding and shaping the patch I was able to complete. I'll also work on the existing gel coat and see what all I can bring back to its former glory. This is all done by hand so it'll be slow and laborious. In fact, I may break a sweat.


"Hard work is the yeast that raises the dough." -Unknown





Next >

No comments: