March 22, 2009

Finished!

To jog your memory about where this boat started from:


Cracks like this were all over the boat and needed repair-







The wood grain decals were in sad, sad shape-






The bow looked like it toyed with a semi truck-







This damage was about as long as your forearm-







This was about as large as your fist-





I had to cut out all of that damaged fiberglass-









And build custom bridges to support the patches as they cured-






I applied new gel coat to the repaired areas as well as other places the gel coat had been damaged and sand it flush-











Hours and hours I spent over this hull in order to restore her. With interest, my neighbor had watched this boat slowly improve, most likely relieved that I wasn't cooking up a meth lab in the shed considering all the running back and forth I did wearing latex gloves.

Today, she proudly hoisted her sail for the first time in years. My neighbor stood at the fence and said, "A fine looking boat you got there". I'm amazed at how good everything looks and can't wait to take her out on the lake.






Well, here she is-a young 34 years old and ready to go sailing:







"The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavour is taking the first step, making the first decision." ~ Robyn Davidson


Next >

No comments: