February 22, 2009

Meet "Dolly".

"Dolly" has graciously volunteered to help me move my boat around after having built her myself.



I simply lift by the handle of the bow and off we go with "Dolly" faithfully holding the other end. This should help me get the boat from the truck to the beach by myself. What a helpful little thing. Don't laugh at my booger welds for this was my very first welding project and it would hurt "Dolly's" feelings.

The axle:
The axle is homemade. At the end of the tube are bolts which are welded in place with washers. The tires and wheels came from Tractor supply and have bearings already installed. It's nothing special and works for low speed. I wouldn't dare trailer on this.

The mount:
Today, I finally got around to welding in the spacer and mount so I could finally move my boat around without another pair of hands.

I'll be repainting the bare parts shortly in that nice lovely shade of red by Rustoleum that you see on the rest of it. The black pipe serves as a spacer to support the rudder mount.











And then the washers are used to keep things perfectly aligned for the bolt the same size as the rudder's.
The carpet is an out door carpet from Home Depot. Well see how everything works. It did just fine moving it around in the back yard this afternoon for today's tasks.

Coming next: inspection port installation!

No comments: