February 11, 2009

Filler-again!



Alright!

So I lied...
I'll add to my counter of "You just thought you were close" located down at the bottom of the blog.
*hangs head in shame*



I figured the next post would be about putting down the gel-coat. Not so. Something not to my liking reared its head. So I needed to roll up my sleeves again.


First things first, I cranked the tunes. They are of utmost importance!


















I sanded down the filler I had applied and, like the boogie man coming out from under the bed, found this, for example:

















Not bad eh? However, you can see a it a little but mostly feel a not-as-smooth-as-I'd-like-it surface.
Here, I'll circle it for you-














































I let out a blood curdling scream and ran out of the work shed, tripping over the dog as I did. But I soon returned to tackle the boogie man bumps remembering what several experienced auto body repair professionals have told me--that 90% of a great finish happens before you pick up the paint gun.
Okay, so someone somewhere granted me patience. The gel-coat would come.
I rolled up my sleeves and snapped on some gloves.

If you aren't aware of it, your fingertips are much better at detecting uneven surfaces than your eyes, even if you were to wet the surface. Don't be afraid, just rub those puppies all over your work. Just make sure any nasty pokie things like jagged needles of fiberglass have already been sanded down first. It can cut you.

As the pads of my fingers ran along, reporting all the bumps they found, it was decided that one more application of filler is prudent. Filler is very easy to shape and as much as gel-coat smells, I only want to have to apply it once.


I had sanded down the high spots so this will be easy. I have a wide spatula (you can find at a paint store) and a mostly smooth surface. Each additional application of filler becomes easier and faster to do.
I mixed another batch with a disposable plastic bathroom cup and popsicle stick to a consistancy between ketchup and mayonnaise. I then applied the filler using the same popsicle stick on the low areas. I used the spatula to scrape off the remaining. And here's what I left to cure:

















A nice smooth line:

































So, I'll finish my paper for school as this cures. I'm confident I'll be ready for gel-coat in just a few days. There are some cracks in the old gel-coat I didn't want to widen before I was done with filler. I'll tackle that, which won't take long, and start working with gel-coat.
You know, I think we're beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!



“The foundations for a better tomorrow must be laid today”

No comments: