July 24, 2008

Out with the old damaged parts


Step 2(b)

As the hull sits, there is not a single bad piece of fiberglass on it. However, this doesn't mean we're ready to go sailing just yet. It's got a few holes which would gladly take in water by the buckets.

In the early morning light, before it gets unbearably hot, I donned my painter's suit, a hoodie, some gloves, shoe covers, and eye protection. Fiberglass is not something you want in your skin. It is completely irritating and I certainly don't need this project any more difficult than it already is. Anyone who's ever had fiberglass in their skin and reading is probably itching just with the thought of it. And since it's warm, and I'd be sweating, a big thermos of cold water sat on the table. The dogs found a good spot in the shade to watch the destruction. It was time to bring Step 2 to an open and then swift close.

A drill bit reflected sun light back into my eyes while I tightened it in the drill. I was using it to make a nice clean hole in the fiberglass for a good comfortable place to start. My hands shook for a second. Am I about to get in over my head? Will I be able to complete this? What if I ruin it!
I drew myself up. No matter what I do, the boat was in the worst shape it could be. The damage couldn't be repaired exactly as it sat. Cutting it out is a step towards repair. I'll figure this out.
The battery on the drill was nearly dead so it's a good thing the rotting glass didn't put up a fight. Thirty seconds later, I was headed towards the jig saw. Yes, I'm taking a jig saw to my boat. Boats and saws aren't usually friends. Kind of like oil and water.

With a jig saw in hand, made in the '50's and equipped with a blade for cutting metal, I approached the hull. Nobody shivered, cried, or shuddered. Nobody averted their eyes. This is with the intention of improvement. Confident that the vibrations from the power sander had convinced any insects and critters to move, I turned on the jig saw and began cutting...like a hot knife through butter. In no time, the bad glass was out and I breathed a sigh of relief.

The fiberglass is good! I actually have less holes than I started with. No magic unfortunately. A few holes were so close to each other that it'll be easier to repair if it's one single larger hole.

You may not believe it, but here's progress:















You see how the damage is all on the sharp bend where the bottom turns into the side? Yeah, that'll be a bi... a challenge, for lack of a bad word. The nice thing about fiberglass is that it's easy to shape (supposedly... I'll find out soon enough).
I beveled the edges of the fiberglass in preparation for new fiberglass to give a larger bonding surface.
Next up, Step 3 -patching the holes!
Until then, I leave you with a quote and what only a few of the unfortunate, though brave, have ever seen in person- the inside of a Minifish:


"Progress always involves risk; you can't steal second base and keep your foot on first base." -Frederick Wilcox












I'm a little sleepy with such an early morning start. I'm sure I'll have nightmares.

Next >

No comments: